Además, Nadim (en la foto, cortesía de HRW) ha confesado que casó a sus dos hijas, amenazándolas con matarlas, para pagar sus deudas:
A FATHER has become the face of a push to cut down the horrific practice of forcing young girls into marriage – now admitting that making his 12-year-old wed against her will to pay his debts was a mistake.
The man features in a confronting new campaign highlighting the horrors of the custom in Yemen – horrors that include death, horrendous injury and brutal loss of innocence as girls are pushed into sex and childbirth before their young bodies are ready.
“I’d advise any father, mother or brother not to rush to marry their girls like I did because that is ignorant,” the dad, identified as Nadim, laments in an interview with Human Rights Watch.
Nadim details how he forced his daughter, named in the video as Laila, to marry against her will when she was just 12 – admitting he used threats of violence to make it happen.
“I forced her (Laila) and she cried, even at the wedding party. I warned her ‘If you don’t get married I will kill you.’ I really threatened her.”
- 8-year-old child bride dies of internal bleeding on wedding night (fox4kc.com)
- Yemen: End Child Marriage (mainbaghihoon.wordpress.com)
- Yemen: End Child Marriage (hrw.org)
- Child bride dies after wedding night in Yemen (nydailynews.com)
- Jesus Take The Wheel: 8-Year-Old Child Bride Bleeds To Death On Her Wedding Night After 40-Year-Old Groom Attempts To Consummate Union (bossip.com)
- Yemeni bride, eight, ‘dies on wedding night’ (theguardian.com)
- Child bride, 8, dies of internal bleeding on wedding night, says Yemeni activist (thestar.com)