Islamist supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood have remained in control of Dalga, an Egyptian city of 120,000, since July 3, and have imposed a reign of terror against Christians, according to the Associated Press.
“The Copts in Dalga live in utter humiliation,” said a local rights activist. “They live in horror and cannot lead normal lives.”
The city’s Christian churches have been attacked, and a 1,600-year-old monastery has been burned down.
The Assyrian International News Agency, citing the Egyptian newspaper Al-Dostour, reported that supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood have imposed the jizya, or special tribute on non-Muslims, on the 15,000 Coptic Christians who remain in Dalga.
- En Egipto, los islamistas acusan a los coptos de un “complot” contra Morsi (sanacritica.wordpress.com)
- The Return of Jizya to Egypt (frontpagemag.com)
- Brotherhood Imposes Jizya Tribute on Egypt’s Christians (raymondibrahim.com)
- Brotherhood imposes Jizya tribute on Egypt’s Christians (humanevents.com)
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood to Coptic Christians: Convert to Islam, or pay ‘jizya’ tax (washingtontimes.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood Imposes Sharia-Based Jizya Tax On Egypt’s Christians (patdollard.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood Imposes Jizya Tribute on Egypt’s Christians (pjmedia.com)