Another Christian resident said: ‘I saw the militants grabbing five villagers and threatening them and saying, “Either you convert to Islam, or you will be beheaded”.’
Another said one church had been torched, and gunmen stormed into two other churches and robbed them.
The beautiful mountain village, 25 miles from Damascus, is one of the few places in the world where residents still use the ancient language of Aramaic, which was spoken by Jesus and his disciples.
Además, en el ataque consideraron a una iglesia “un botín de guerra”:
During the storming of armed Islamists into Maaloula, in an attack they dubbed a “conquest” in reference to the era of Islamic conquests, they vandalized the church, considering it a “war prize.” This is also a tribal tradition that existed prior to Islam and was practiced by Muslims for a while during their wars to bribe tribesmen and talk them into accepting the idea of fighting Jihad with the prophet. Later on, the Prophet Muhammad set war standards, prohibiting the killing of captives, the burning of trees and ensuring the preservation of sacred sites of other religions.
However, in their fight against Christians, those attacking Maaloula are still implementing the old legacies of Islam in its early stages. Back then, the prophet was compelled to make concessions to gain the support of tribes in his conflict with the Quraysh — rich Arab tribes at the time — and those opposed to his call for Islam in the Arab peninsula.
Storming into Maaloula and calling upon its residents to convert to Islam as the only option to stay alive — only days prior to a possible US military attack against the Syrian regime — once again prompts questions about a potential alternative. While, according to the West, President Bashar al-Assad prevents the establishment of democracy in Syria, the Islamist opposition threatens — if it were to usurp power — to destroy 1,000 years of religious tolerance in the Levant.
Insisto: ¿realmente queremos que nuestros impuestos vayan destinados a ayudar a esto?😯
- Syrian rebels attack historic Christian village where residents still speak the … – Daily Mail (dailymail.co.uk)
- Syria: Rebels Attack Christians Homes, Churches, Many Dead, ‘Convert To Islam Or You Will Be Beheaded’ (midnightwatcher.wordpress.com)
- Native Aramaic speakers caught up in Syrian war (timesofisrael.com)
- Obama Silent On Syrian Rebels Forcing Christians To Convert To Islam (vineoflifenews.com)
- Rebeldes sirios toman ciudad donde aún se habla el arameo (sanacritica.wordpress.com)
- Malula vuelve a caer en manos de los rebeldes sirios (sanacritica.wordpress.com)