“Secretary Kerry is, as you all know, a decorated combat veteran,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said, referring to Kerry’s service during the Vietnam War. “He’s had … more than words aimed at him.
“So he’s not losing sleep after such a preposterous comment that was based on an inaccurate quote and was completely mischaracterized,” she added.
On Wednesday, Putin accused Kerry of lying about the militant group al Qaeda’s role in the Syrian conflict.
“They lie beautifully, of course. I saw debates in Congress. A congressman asks Mr Kerry: ‘Is al Qaeda there?’ He says: ‘No, I am telling you responsibly that it is not,'” Putin said at a meeting of his human rights council in the Kremlin.
“Al Qaeda units are the main military echelon, and they know this,” he said, referring to the United States. “It was unpleasant and surprising for me – we talk to them, we proceed from the assumption that they are decent people. But he is lying and knows he is lying. It’s sad.”
Aquí en español.
- Kerry not losing sleep after Putin calls him a liar -U.S. (worldbulletin.net)
- Kerry not losing sleep after Putin calls him a liar – Independent Online (iol.co.za)
- Putin: ‘Kerry Is Lying’ (usatoday.com)
- Putin Calls Kerry A ‘Liar’ For Denying That Al-Qaeda Is The One Dominating Syrian Rebels (patdollard.com)
- Putin: Show Me The Proof… (reuters.com)
- Putin calls Kerry a ‘liar’ (thehindu.com)
- Mitt Romney was right (theblogmocracy.com)